Monday, February 13, 2012

WHY WE HAVE TO TAKE SIGNIFICANT RISKS

In real sense, life involves a lot of risks, some times giving our best in order to solve a particular problem, the road to success is a tough, and risky one.
In life if we don't stretch our courage and determination over the limit then life will be a misery. It can only be overcomed by courage, and determination.
Some time ago there was this ebook that I had always imagined if it ever existed, I searched for this ebook every where on the internet but I could not find it. On a very good day I came across this ebook and it was exactly what I was looking for. I took my time and explored the blog that contains the ebook, actually, the blog was not encouraging to conduct an online transaction. I contacted the owner of the blog via email on
how to get the ebook worth $50, he said that I should send the money to his account number, I asked him "how do I know that you are going to send the ebook to my email address, then he said "you just have to trust me and take the risk" I was in a dilemma, I said to my self what if this guy is an internet fraud star, though the money involved wasn't a huge amount of money, but it worths the monthly earning of an adsense newbie. It took me days to gather up courage because I do know what I want and how long it took me to stumble on this blog. So I went ahead with it. After many days I didn't hear from him, I taught that he has played me, I blamed my self for taking such significant risk. Not long enough he sent me the ebook and apologised for the delay I was so suprised that people like him still exist on this planet earth, the ebook was an amazing one and worth double the money I paid.
Ben Carson (a Surgeon and the author of THINK BIG). In his book he used a story of an infant boy who had a primitive neuroectodermal tumor to enlight more on this.
In his book, he wrote " there was an infant boy named Dusty Philips who came to us from West Virginia with what they call a " primitive neuroectodermal tumor", that is a highly malignant tumor on one hemisphere of the brain. Such tumors, usually fatal are extremely fast growing.
Neurosurgeons in West Virginia who had biospied then gave the child a few courses of Chemotherapy, yet the tumor continued to progress. In this case if the tumor does not decrease, doctors usually have to say, "we have done all we can. Just make the patient comfortable".
"Make the patient comfortable", means, of course, that they expect the person to die soon.
They have exhausted everything they know to reverse Dusty's situation but nothing produced any improvement. The only other piece of advice they gave in Dusty's case was " try John Hopkins. If there is anything that can be done they would know. They are doing some new kinds of surgery there".
It was word of hope the parents needed.
They brought the infant to our( which is Dr Carson and his crew's) clinic.
The boys father said "if you can do anything to help him please try" for a long time I spoke quietly with the parents not wanting to raise false hopes. As I explained what I could do, I made it certain that we would be taking significant surgical risks.
Dusty was then almost a year old. The longer we waited, the greater the risk. Before they made their decision, I told them there would be significant or fatal bleeding in substantial, we also have to face the possibility of infection particularly in his case because he's already been weakened by chemotherapy and can not fight serious infection. You also need to think about the risk of a neurological impairment. " what does that mean?" asked Mrs. Philips, " paralysis. There is a strong possibility of partial or even complete paralysis and Dusty could end up with significant visual disturbances or personality. He could even go into coma"
"we want to do whatever we can" said the husband, confused, worried and wanting the best for his child.
Mrs Philips looked directly at me and asked "but what will happen if you don't do this? If you don't take the risk? " as I looked at her, I said "sure it's a dangerous procedure, but look at the alternative if we don't do nothing." His wife said, "then do it"
We went on with the surgery, it was tedious any way but a successful one. The Oncologist treated him with another chemotherapy by asking a combination of medications that our group had come up with. The tumor never came back. It has been years now and dusty is normal. He is neurologically intact, with no evidence of any more tumors."
That was Ben Carson's story on how he took a significant risk. Some times we got to take risks to survive.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I'd like to hear from you, valid comments only.

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Facebook Themes